Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: "Dinner: A Love Story"

  
*image downloaded
 I picked up Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach after seeing it featured on Ali Edwards' blog a while ago.  I checked out amazon and saw this video.  This video sold me.  I loved her philosophy and it really sounded like something I wanted to get behind.  Plus, my dinners were getting a little....boring.  You can only eat spaghetti, Lean Cuisines and baked chicken so much.  I loved her idea of keeping a Dinner Diary.  I keep something kind of similar, although it's a dry-erase that I redo each week to keep track of what we plan to eat for dinner.
   
*image downloaded - courtesy of Jenny Rosenstrach
The book is part memoir, part cookbook.  She's a great writer and I may or may not have developed a little crush on her husband - he's hilarious!  I didn't necessarily agree with all of her strategies (I don't want to eat dinner at 9pm after the kids have gone to bed), but for the most part, she inspired me.  We normally eat dinner at the table as a family.  She's inspired me to change up my normal meals and to try new things.  Her recipes are not complex.  Even the "harder" recipes are something that I can definitely do.  She got me wanting to make Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potatoes.  I don't normally even like Chicken Pot Pie.  But I'm going to try it!  While I was reading, I kept a bookmark of a lined piece of paper which I wrote down recipes as I read them and knew I wanted to try.  The list got pretty long!  She's really gotten me excited to cook again. 

I've tried two recipes so far and they were super easy and really delicious!  This book now lives in my kitchen, on my cookbook stand where I see it everyday.  It's a friendly reminder to cook really good food for the people I love.  I'm sure I'll revisit it and read it all the way through if I feel like I'm getting in a dinner rut again.  I highly, highly recommend this book!

*Now I just need a Dutch oven, which I've been wanting for a while anyway.  This just gives me another excuse to buy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment