Monday, January 14, 2013

Reading with Intention





This year, I've decided to embark on a journey to READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR.  The entire thing.  Cover to cover.  Chronologically.  This is a big commitment and there are a few reasons I want to do it.  First, I've never read it.  Not even a full chapter in one sitting.  I basically heard versus repeated in church or on Facebook pages, but I've never really KNOWN what the Bible says.  I want to change that.  Second, I'm not 100% sure where I stand on my faith.  We've just this past year started really going to church regularly and we've both really enjoyed it.  It's giving Josh and I both the desire to understand the written word better.  This is something I've wanted to do for a while and I decided that 2013 is my year to finally do it.  Here's my process:

When I was thinking about how to go about this project, I had to decide when I was going to do it.  Doing it at the same time everyday is the best way to keep it routine and eventually I'll be doing it without even thinking about it.  I initially thought that getting up and doing it first thing in the morning would be the best thing to do.  It's a good way to start my morning.  However....I am NOT a morning person.  Not even a little bit.  And Josh had said he wants to do some reading along with me, so maybe we should do it at night when the girls are in bed.  But, once the girls are in bed, that's our freedom time.  We'll normally sit down together and watch tv shows or a movie....or we'll go our separate ways and do stuff on our own we want to do.  So we switched gears and decided on the mornings.  That means I have to get up before the girls do...normally around 6:30 or so.  This was going to be a challenge.  I didn't realize what a GREAT challenge it would be.  The first couple of days was hard to get up, but I reminded myself of my goal and how important it is to me.  I got up, made my coffee, did my reading and the girls still weren't up.  I did the dishes, got some stuff picked up around the house, started some laundry...I was amazed at how much I was able to get done when the girls were still asleep.  Normally, I would stay in bed until Caylan wondered in, then Layla would wake up screaming.  I was waking up to chaos.  Now, I'm convinced that getting up early is the key.  Not only am I now starting my days with Bible readings...I'm able to have some peace and get some things done which helps my days go much smoother and less stressful.  Not everyday is perfect, but it's better.  I wish I had started this a long time ago. 

The readings are going great.  I'm understanding everything (although the names are hard to get through.  They had some crazy names!).  I'm finishing up Genesis tomorrow and moving on to the next book.  I'll keep updated every so often on my progress.  If you've been interested in reading the Bible, or have been looking for a daily devotional Bible for women, this is the one my mother-in-law gave me last year for Christmas.  That's where I got my reading guide and it's a great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment