Sunday, November 14, 2010

Book Review - Riding Lessons

I just finished Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen.  It was her first novel and I enjoyed it.  It's about a woman who's going through a divorce and she returns to her childhood home to help care for her ailing father.  Her childhood home is a ranch and she was a former rider who stopped riding after an awful accident, which lead to the death of her favorite horse.  She ends up facing the riding world again while dealing with a difficult teenager, a divorce and some family issues.  I really liked it....however....the main character kinda bugged me.  She didn't make very wise decisions and she spent most of the book in dramatic situations and crying a lot.  I get it, it's a hard time, but come on!  She just got on my nerves by the end.  There's a sequel and I'm trying to decide if I want to read it.  I kinda do, but I'm afraid that she'll bug me again and I won't enjoy it.  I don't know, we'll see.  Now I'm off to read Little Bee for a book club that I've recently started for the squadron wives.  It's our first book and I chose it, so I hope it's a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your new book club, sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to add that I love your comment on my blog about friendship--I like honesty:) And while it's hard to realize a friend isn't really a friend, it's good if it helps you focus on the true friends.

    ReplyDelete