Saturday, September 11, 2010

EEEEEEK!

Well, it finally happened.  After a few years of Josh mentioning and me repeatedly saying, "No way!"  I finally got to a point where I was ok with him getting a handgun.  It's for protection while at home, in case we're in the situation where we need to protect ourselves.  Then he says, "You need to learn how to use this in case you need to while I'm away."  Eeeeeek!  But he's right.  If he's away on a trip and I'm in a situation where I need to protect myself and my daughter, I should be comfortable using it if I need to.  So, off to the shooting range we went today.  I was terrified! He showed me beforehand how to get it ready and all the gadgets on it.  Once we were there, he had me hold on to his hands while he shot it so I would get a feel for how it was.  I about jumped out of my skin!  After holding onto his hand for a few minutes, it was my turn.  Hands sweating and shaking, heart racing....but I braved up and took it.  The first shot scared me a bit, but I kept at it.  My dear husband was so patient with me and helped hold my hands steady at first.  Once I fired off a few rounds, I gave him the ok to let me shoot by myself.  I started getting used to the recoil and I was able to shoot it without too much shaking.  And I ended up doing pretty well.  I shot two full magazines, 17 bullets each.  I'm pretty proud of myself.  I definitely need more practice, but I'm glad I'm learning how to use it in case, God forbid, I need to.  I don't know if I'll ever be totally comfortable with a gun in the house, even unloaded and locked away, but I do have peace of mind knowing how to use it and knowing that it's there.  Let's just pray that we'll never be in a situation where we need it.

1 comment:

  1. I will be right there with you shortly. My husband is getting his hand gun over the Christmas holidays. I am not looking forward to it, but I will be brave just like you!

    ReplyDelete